The Life and Times of a Busy Woman

Monday, July 30, 2012

I'm Baaaaaaack ...

Well, I've been back since the 17th ... I've just had to work my behind off since I took so much time off unpaid.  Bills suck.


The trip was amazing.  Daylight 20.5 hours of the day, dusk for the other 3.5 hours ... guess where I went.  :)  I will definitely be going back, just FYI. 

A lovely time-lapsed shot
The wonderment after it all was ... I came back to the same crappy attitudes that I left.  I have a few different employers, but one at this point in time takes the cake.  Wow.  I mean, I've encountered pettiness and backstabbing [really, who hasn't?], but this is quite the debacle.  At this employer, we submit our availability within the last week of the prior month and the schedule is made.  I didn't have any availability in July due to my trip and my two other jobs, so I didn't work [this was communicated ahead of time].  I submitted my availability for August, knowing full-well when *extra* people were going to be needed ... and "none of the shifts [I] requested are open."  Really?  I know the size of the roster.  I know how many people are needed/when ... yet, I couldn't get even one of those slots?  On top of that, double the original minimal availability is now required.  I begin back to school on the Wednesday after Labor Day.  With nighttime Partnership schedule, daytime class schedule, family, and my 2 other jobs ... do they really think that I'm going to have time? 

REALLY?? 


This isn't the first time that I've had scheduling issues.  My availability is limited, but they put others in slots that I could have filled - those others have much greater availability [and a ton of shifts].  As much as it pains me, I'm going to turn in my stuff and official resignation this week.  I've worked there for almost 2 years, but it's not worth the hassle and heartburn of wondering if I can make the minimum.

I don't know who I unknowingly crossed, but it would have been better [and much more professional] if they would have approached me about it - rather than squeezing me out of the schedule.  At least, that's my theory as to why I'm unable to get shifts.  I just wish I knew who to confront about it ... we are adults, after all ... or at least I am. 

Onto happier things, I had a good day at my other job [that I'm keeping].  It was busier than it ever has been with me on duty... and I've definitely had enough to sirens for today [and maybe tomorrow] ... but it was a good day with a good partner.  My Chief is really cool, too.  I'm working again tomorrow ... so maybe I ought to get some sleep tonight ... and take some Advil.  My partner tomorrow has been quite the magnet lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment