The Life and Times of a Busy Woman

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Score 1 for the Home Team

So many things have happened recently, I don't know where to start ...

I guess I'll start with the fact that I got a *90* on an exam that was primarily Neurological content. 

 

The Professor has prided herself that she gives difficult exams (she actually teaches a graduate course on how to write exam questions) and the typical class average grade is 75-80 on this particular exam.  Difficult exams, yes, in the manner that the students actually have to think about the content and apply their knowledge (like any good nurse).  I spent most of the summer working on Neuro content just because she gave us fair warning in the Spring - this is the second part of a two-part Senior class.

I do not test well ... at all ... so this exam gave me anxiety like never before.  Neuro is a tough subject no matter who you are.  The next exam will be over endocrine, liver, and pancreatic disorders along with the topic of burns.  The last exam will be cumulative, but primarily cover musculoskeletal disorders and care of HIV/AIDS patients with a particular focus on the elderly.  I am 2, count 'em, *2* exams away from graduation.  Sure, NCLEX-RN boards are after that ... but one hurdle at a time!

On the Partnership front ... I am 5 shifts into 16, and Monday night it all seemed to "click."  That's the only way I can describe it.  Granted, there were still a couple missing pieces of documentation, but I know seasoned nurses who leave holes.  That's why the staff nurses at my ER do chart audits monthly.  It's to help them learn and evolve their own charting.  They audit 2 of their own, and 2 of someone else (randomly).  So, the charting piece will evolve continually, but the care I was giving was nursing care - not just CNA care - and it all FLOWED.  I knew what was needed, I knew what I wanted to do next.  It also was a slow night, so I had every patient that came through the doors (since no one overlapped) from triage to discharge.  My Preceptor would introduce herself to patients, then leave to let me do "my thing."  She would check in with me when I came out of rooms to ask, "What's going on?" and "What's your plan?"  It. Was. Great.  The patients knew I was a student, but they gladly accepted me. 

All the pieces falling into place ...

The highlight of my night was a cardiac patient brought in via EMS.  I ran the "show" with only a couple questions to my preceptor.  Unbeknownst to me, the patient's wife works within the hospital organization.  Prior to discharge, she told my Preceptor that they "need to work on retaining [me], [I'll] make an excellent Nurse and asset to the department."  I always appreciate positive feedback, but I didn't realize how much it made me smile until I was telling my husband about it.  That's the response I'm looking for.  I work my butt off, and have worked for 6 years as a CNA with 5.5 of that while I've been in school.  It's nice to have my hard work appreciated and validated.

The rest of my school work is falling into place also.  I've been writing papers far ahead of their due dates since I love checking things off my to do list.  I have a few more to do, but I gave myself tonight off ... I'll start again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment