The Life and Times of a Busy Woman

Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Menagerie

Chaos ... that does not begin to describe my life ... but at least it's more of an "organized chaos."  Yes, I'm aware that's an oxymoron.

I heard back from the other Scholarships that I applied to.  Sadly, I did not receive them, but I am happy to say the amount I did receive covered what I would have had to take out as a Private Education Loan (at a substantially higher interest rate).  Therefore, I'm very grateful for the two I did receive.

For a couple months, I have felt like this guy:

"Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ..."

My nursing school was supposed to place us all by mid May.  Arrive mid June, and I'm still saying "Partnership?  Partnership?  Partnership?"  I had applied to two at what would be referred to by locals as the "Miracle Center."  I had excellent references, resume, and clinical performance - what I needed was someone to grant me an interview so I could pitch myself (which I HATE doing).  That did not happen, so then I waited a fretful week for my instructor to return from the West Coast and make a phone call to a community hospital to attempt to place me there.  The community hospitals are not as stuck up as the MC and do not require job board applications, but they sometimes require interviews and slots were quickly filling since I'd waited so long for a reply from my first two applications.  My instructor did not call like she said she would when she returned.  That's when I took matters into my own hands.

Tuesday, I was partnered on the local ambulance with a Medic who is a longstanding employee of that Community Hospital (they run their own EMS service).  He had even been Chief of Service for a decade prior to returning to "just being a Medic."  I vented my frustration at not having a Partnership yet and my instructor's lack of follow through.  "I think I know just who to talk to ..."  Yep, he did.  We went to the Nursing Education office in person and found the TWO correct people to talk to.  I was only expecting to get an interview, but the lady with the list gave me my choice of whatever was open (which I was correct that slots were filling fast).  "When your school gets around to calling me, I'll tell them you're all set."  I did the best to contain myself prior to leaving the building ... but when we left, I'm not ashamed to say that I looked something like this:

 
Well, sans the pink ... I was in EMS field gear at that point in time.  I also hugged my partner and squealed like a school girl - prior to composing myself and climbing back in our truck.  I got the area I wanted, at a hospital local to me which also happens to be a critical access hospital.  Translation:  they see A LOT of patients with "interesting" cases and coordinate transfer to bigger hospitals or treat and discharge home.
I can't shake the feeling that the Partnership was handed to me due to who I was standing next to.  I'm not above using my connections to land an interview, but having things handed to me due to who I know just doesn't sit well with my conscience.  All I can say is that I'm going to prove that I would have earned it on my own.  Maybe I'll even earn a job there after the Partnership and Graduation.  

Oh yeah, Graduation.  I'm an odd graduate ... I officially graduate in December, but I was able to walk in May in the big Commencement ceremony the University holds each year.  I'm almost 30 and wanted to walk with my Class of 2012.  Unfortunately, the pictures of me in a cap and gown have made everyone think that I've graduated already.  They keep asking when I'm going to take my Boards and start working.  It sucks to have to keep telling them I only walked.  Then they saw the Partnership announcement on my fb page and thought I was leaving them (I currently work in a hospital as an ER Tech) for another hospital.   It will be nice when I only have a couple work titles (RN and EMT) versus CNA, Tech, Secretary, Greeter, Registration, and EMT.  

Tomorrow, our daughter boards a plane to visit her Grandparents for 8 weeks.  It happens every summer, but it doesn't get any easier.  Luckily, Grandma keeps her busy with horse camp, girls' camp, and other adventures.  This year may even include Busch Gardens.  

I can also say this is the first time in my memory that I've been truly grateful for my brother.  Coincidentally, his work booked him on the same flight our daughter is taking.  He even coordinated seat assignments so they'll be sitting next to each other.  It makes me feel so much better that she'll have her uncle (who's 6'9" and somewhat burly) to accompany her. 

The best part of tomorrow is that my Grandmother is riding with us to the airport.  It's nice to spend time with her catching up on family stuff.  This is a Grandmother that tells it like it is.  "Well, I only have a few useful grandkids, the rest are useless.  If only they'd get off their butts instead of wasting oxygen lazying around then maybe they'd contribute to society."  Plus, we're going to go and see my niece and nephew (her great-grandkids).  My brother may be flying, but my sister-in-law is the better half anyway.  :)  And I haven't seen my niece and nephew since Christmas.  So ... of course I'm bringing toys.  I strive to be the "cool aunt," though of course I'm my brother's only sibling and the other aunts live out of state.  So, I'm already a few notches up.  Hahaha!



No comments:

Post a Comment